|Horizontal Polarity for 13 Months|
|Antennas Are Down|
232 Initials (New Stations)
58 DXCC Countries Worked / 53 Confirmed
U.S. States on 2-M
44 Worked / 44 Confirmed (not all via EME)
So, on 27-December-2018, with the help of my grandsons, Owen and Grant, we took down the two 13-element InnovAntenna yagis. I then began the work of re-configuring the antennas so that they can be mounted in Vertical Polarization.
On 30-December-2018 the temperature was up to 49° F with a little sunshine so I proceeded with adapting the antennas for vertical mounting. This required removing and reinstalling the mounting bracket after rotating it 90°, doing the same for the truss mounting bracket, drilling two holes in each antenna for the truss cables to attach to the boom, and sealing the original holes in the boom. I decided to locate the new holes for the truss wires 1-inch further away from the center of the antenna to not weaken the boom at that point. Then, Scotch® Super 88 electrical tape was used to seal the old holes.
|Cross Boom Mounting|
|Rotated for Vertical Mounting|
When the antennas were in horizontal polarization, the mounting brackets had the antennas sitting on top of the fiberglass cross boom. I decided this time to allow the antennas to "hang" from the cross boom by the U-bolts when mounted in vertical polarization. It may not make any difference but I thought it would make it easier for me to install the antennas with the nuts for the U-bolts now on the underside of the bracket.
The above work (including acquiring and replacing all tools) took four hours. At this point all I need to do is to adjust the turnbuckles on the truss cables to bring the antenna boom into a horizontal position. I also plan to construct two trusses for the cross boom in order to reduce the "droop" which has crept into the fiberglass cross boom. That will be covered in my next Post.
|Adjusting Truss Turnbuckle|
Once we had the first antenna complete, Owen and Grant installed it on the fiberglass Cross Boom. In the photo at the right you can see them installing the second antenna on the Cross Boom. We took care to make sure that the antennas remained "in-phase" with each other when we mounted the second antenna.
The difficult part was to tighten down the second antenna so that it remained parallel to the first antenna. This took several tries until we all figured out how much we had to "over-compensate" when beginning to tighten the U-bolts. Once we got that down, we quickly had the two antennas parallel. The total time to do all of the work today was only 2 hours. And, the thing I learned from when Tim, K8RRT, and I installed the antennas the first time in Horizontal polarization, was that having TWO people mounting the antenna makes it MUCH easier! Also, using a small electric drill with the proper deep socket was a BIG improvement over just using a manual ratchet!
Once the antennas were installed, Owen adjusted the inclinometer so that it read the actual elevation (as measured by a digital level on the boom of one antenna.) I was anxious at that point to raise the antennas to their final operating position until Grant pointed out that I had not connected the feedlines to the power divider! DUH! I'm sure glad these boys are understanding what we are doing so that they can keep old Grandpa straight!
|Antennas are now Vertically Polarized|
As I mentioned above, once I have installed the trusses for the cross boom, I will Post that info (with pictures) to this Blog. Until then, I'm very anxious to try out the antennas in Vertical Polarization to see if I can work stations who I was not able to work when the antennas were Horizontally Polarized. Moon conditions are not very favorable for the next two weeks but January 20-24 looks like some REALLY good moon conditions so you can bet I'll be in the operating seat whenever the moon is up on those days!