This post is a little late but here we go. I had originally planned to use a Hy-Gain TailTwister rotor that I already had on-hand as my Azimuth rotor for the EME array. However, as my project progressed, I became aware that the TailTwister was not a good rotor for EME use
because of its braking system. When the rotor stops rotating, the wedge
brake seats into one of 60 segments spaced 6° apart. That severely
limits the pointing accuracy of the rotor. Depending on exactly when
the brake is engaged, I could be as much as 9° off the exact heading which I
needed in order to be directly aimed at the moon. Since I was only planning a 2
antenna system, I did not feel I could give up that much accuracy. I need
everything in my system to work as well as it possibly can. So, I
scrapped the idea of using the Hy-Gain TailTwister (T2X) and bought a
new Yaesu G800-DXA for the azimuth rotor.
When I first un-boxed this rotor and started going through the setup, I noticed a problem. When rotating it clockwise, at about 130° it suddenly reverses direction, speeds up, goes back to about 105°, reverses direction again and runs up to about 165° where it goes back to normal speed. All the time this was going on I kept the Clockwise button pushed. This is totally repeatable. It did the same thing every time. Also, when moving counterclockwise, it does the same "back and forth, speeded up" gyrations but not at the same headings, just in the same quadrant.