Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ground Rod Tool

Got an email Friday night from my good friend Rick, W8ZT. A couple of weeks ago I had asked him for his advice regarding a tool to help with the installation of ground rods which I had read about in QST. Rick jumped right on the project and his email to me tonight told me he had completed the fabrication of the tool. I'll pick it up this weekend and post a photo of it here. But, first, here is a photo of Rick in case you don't know who he is:I plan to put in three 8' rods around my new tower and join them with 2" copper strap. I think if I wrap the strap about 3/4 of the way around the rod and put a couple of slits in the strap, then I can tighten the strap to the rod with a hose clamp. Then, I'll put a ground rod clamp above that and run a No.4 wire to each tower leg. That should provide a pretty descent ground for the new tower.
Of course, if anyone locally wants to borrow this tool, just ask.

No comments: