Sunday, November 12, 2017

Relay Replacement - Moving On

The destruction of the CX-600NL relay was a bit of a setback.  The way I had the station configured, it would not work the way I wanted it to without this relay.  Luckily, a few weeks ago while going through some of my junk box treasures, I found a Brand-New Transco relay still in the plastic.  This will work just fine - well, maybe . . . It turns out that the CX-600NL relay was a 12-volt relay and the Transco was a 28-volt relay.  Hummmm!

After thinking on several ideas that I could use to make this work, it suddenly occurred to me that the T/R relay up on the tower is a 28-volt relay and I have 28-volts available in the DEMI TR Sequencer.  All I had to do was to open the sequencer and connect a jumper from the output jack (NO1) for the T/R Relay to the unused (NO2) jack.  Simple!  Then I just had to install a 1N4003 diode across the relay coil and solder an RCA cable to the relay and run it to the NO2 jack.  DONE!  I now had a replacement for the CX-600NL.  You can see the new relay in the photo on the right.  Click on it for a larger image.

The junk box is a wonderful thing!  Never throw anything away because as soon as you do, you will find you need it.  Of course, it can be pretty difficult to find something that you "KNOW" you have but you can't remember where in the heck you put it.  Just part of gettin' older.  Hey, maybe this is part of that "Use It, or Lose It" theory on your mental ability.  Uh, Huh!

I have been really busy with this EME project and have been running behind on updating this Blog.  The relay replacement was done on October 31, 2017, but I am just now blogging about it.

No comments: